Startones – Forever My Love/ I Love You So Dearly, ’56 (Rainbow 341)
- The Encyclopedia of Rhythm & Blues lists the gms: Mathew Morales (lead), Allen Mason, Harvey Arrington, Carl Hatton, Arthur Blackwell (bass).
- In the articles notes: “Arthur Blackwell was the brother of Tommy Blackwell who was with the Carnations.”
- Matthew Morales and Harvey Arrington were both members of a Junior High School group of Startones formed in 1954 in Bridgeport Connecticut.
- After leaving the service, the group was reformed (with member changes) in 1958-9 as the Teardrops.
- As The Teardrops they backed Bo Diddley on I’m Sorry and Crackin’ Up.
- They became the Carnations when they signed with Beltone Records and released Long Tall Girl b/w Is There Such A World on the Beltone-Lescay label.
- Group members: Matthew Morales (Lead), Harvey Arrington, Edward Kennedy, Carl Hatton, Tommy Blackwell (Bass).
Startones (NY) (Tony Penn & The) – No Time For Tears, ’57 (Web 1116)
as Tony Penn-Vocals – Blind Date, ’57 (Web 1116)
- No gms for the Startones were found.
- Tony Penn also recorded several Rock N Roll sides for the ‘Pri’ label in California.
- Tony Penn on ‘Web’ and Tony Penn on ‘Pri’ sound like the same artist.